Is Counseling, Therapy & Coaching confidential?
In general, the law protects the confidentiality of all communications between a client and psychotherapist / coach. No information is disclosed without prior written permission from the client.
However, there are some exceptions required by law to this rule. Exceptions include:
- If suspected child abuse or dependant adult or elder abuse, the therapist is required to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person, the therapist is required to notify the police.
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, the therapist will make every effort to work with the individual to ensure their safety. However, if an individual does not cooperate, additional measures may need to be taken.
- If client records are subpoenaed by a court of law.
* Please ask if you have any concerns prior to engaging in services.